New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
When a spinal cord injury upends your life, you need more than just medical professionals by your side; you need legal advocates fighting for your rights. At The Orlow Firm, we specialize in representing victims of spinal cord injuries in New York City. We’re committed to securing the justice and compensation you deserve, helping you navigate the complex legal landscape that often follows such devastating injuries.
- The Orlow Firm specializes in spinal cord injury cases in New York City.
- Understanding the different types of spinal cord injuries and who is legally liable is crucial for your case.
- Compensation may cover medical bills, lost wages, emotional suffering, and more.
- New York has a specific statute of limitations for personal injury claims.
How The Orlow Firm Can Help Maximize Your Case
When it comes to spinal cord injuries, The Orlow Firm understands that each case is as unique as the individual involved. Our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers leverage decades of expertise to maximize the compensation you deserve, offering an unparalleled combination of legal acumen, compassion, and relentless advocacy.
Firstly, we initiate a comprehensive investigation to gather all evidence, consulting medical experts and accident reconstruction specialists to establish the liability of the at-fault party. We meticulously document your injuries, treatments, and ongoing care needs to provide a compelling case for full compensation.
Secondly, our adept legal team conducts a thorough assessment of all damages you may be entitled to, which includes not just medical expenses and lost wages, but also emotional suffering and reduced quality of life. We leave no stone unturned in scrutinizing every aspect of your case to ensure that both current and future needs are taken into account.
Thirdly, we employ strategic legal techniques tailored specifically for your situation. Whether it’s pursuing a high-stakes negotiation or taking your case to court, we are prepared for any scenario, committed to delivering the justice you seek.
Lastly, at The Orlow Firm, you are more than just a case number. Our client-focused approach ensures that you are kept informed at every stage, making the legal process as transparent and manageable as possible for you.
Choose The Orlow Firm for your spinal cord injury claim, and you’re choosing a partner committed to fighting for your highest possible compensation.
Common Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Understanding the nature of spinal cord injuries is essential for anyone facing the aftermath of such a life-altering event. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers have extensive experience dealing with a variety of spinal cord injuries, and we believe that educating our clients empowers them to make informed decisions.
There are several common types of spinal cord injuries that victims may experience:
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury: With this type of injury, the spinal cord is partially severed, allowing for some sensory or motor function below the site of injury. The level of functionality varies from case to case.
- Complete Spinal Cord Injury: This is a full severance of the spinal cord, resulting in the loss of all sensory and motor functions below the level of injury. Complete injuries often lead to paraplegia or tetraplegia.
- Tetraplegia (Quadriplegia): This type of injury affects the arms, hands, trunk, legs, and pelvic organs, severely limiting or entirely eliminating mobility and function in all four limbs.
- Paraplegia: This form affects only the trunk, legs, and pelvic organs, often leaving the arms and upper body functional.
Each type of spinal cord injury presents its own challenges and requires specialized medical and legal approaches. The symptoms can range from moderate to severe, affecting not just the injured but also their families. Our team at The Orlow Firm is committed to ensuring you get the personalized legal assistance you need to navigate the complexities of your case and secure the best possible outcome.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are devastating events that can change your life and the lives of those around you. The causes of these injuries can be varied, but some are more frequent than others. Understanding these common causes can be instrumental in prevention and may also provide clarity for those seeking legal justice. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers are well-versed in representing victims of various types of incidents leading to spinal cord damage.
Car crashes, motorcycle accidents, and truck collisions are among the leading causes of spinal cord injuries. High-impact forces during these incidents often result in severe spinal trauma.
Slips and falls, particularly among older adults, can result in spinal cord injuries. Poorly maintained premises, such as wet floors or icy sidewalks, can lead to such accidents.
Work environments like construction sites, warehouses, and industrial settings often pose risks for spinal cord injuries due to falling objects, machinery malfunctions, or falls from heights.
Unfortunately, acts of violence like gunshots and stab wounds are also common causes of spinal cord injuries. These incidents often result in legal cases where determining liability is critical.
Recreational and Sports Injuries
Activities such as diving into shallow waters, football, and extreme sports can result in spinal cord injuries due to impact or improper technique.
Errors during surgical procedures, misdiagnosis, or improper treatment can also lead to spinal cord damage. In such cases, medical practitioners may be held liable for negligence.
Understanding the cause of your spinal cord injury is vital for any legal proceedings. The experienced team at The Orlow Firm will conduct thorough investigations to establish liability, helping you get the justice and compensation you deserve. Whether your injury is the result of a car accident, a fall, or any other reason, we are here to support you every step of the way.
Who Can Be Legally Liable For Spinal Injuries In New York?
Determining legal liability in a spinal cord injury case is a crucial step towards obtaining the compensation you deserve. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers have the expertise to navigate the intricate laws and regulations governing such cases in New York. Understanding who can be held responsible is key to building a strong case.
In motor vehicle accidents—whether involving cars, trucks, or motorcycles—the driver who is found to be at fault can be held liable for your spinal cord injury.
If your spinal cord injury was the result of a fall on someone else’s property—such as in a shopping mall, apartment building, or private residence—the property owner might be held accountable. This is particularly true if the fall was due to poor maintenance, lack of signage, or other negligence.
Workplace accidents that result in spinal cord injuries could make the employer liable, especially if the workplace failed to adhere to safety regulations or did not provide adequate training to employees.
In cases where a spinal cord injury is a result of medical malpractice, such as surgical errors or incorrect treatment, the medical professionals involved can be held legally liable.
If a defective product—be it a vehicle, machinery, or medical device—causes or worsens a spinal cord injury, the manufacturer might be held responsible.
In some cases, more than one party could be held liable for your injury. For instance, in a car accident involving multiple vehicles, more than one driver might share the blame.
Determining legal liability can be complex, requiring thorough investigation and, often, the testimony of experts. The Orlow Firm is dedicated to ensuring that all liable parties are held accountable, paving the way for you to secure the maximum compensation possible for your injuries. We’ll guide you through each step of the legal process, fighting tirelessly on your behalf.
What Can Spinal Cord Injury Victims Be Compensated For In New York?
Spinal cord injuries can take an immense toll on your life, physically, emotionally, and financially. It’s not just the immediate medical bills; the long-term implications often involve rehabilitation, loss of income, and a drastically altered quality of life. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers aim to secure compensation that truly reflects the magnitude of your suffering and losses.
- Immediate Care: Emergency room visits, surgeries, and initial hospitalization.
- Ongoing Treatment: Follow-up visits, medication, medical equipment like wheelchairs.
- Physical Therapy: Sessions aimed to improve mobility and function.
- Occupational Therapy: Helps adapt to new ways of performing daily tasks.
Lost Wages and Loss of Earning Capacity
- Temporary or Permanent Disability: Compensation for the time you’re unable to work and future loss of income due to disability.
Emotional and Psychological Suffering
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and psychological trauma.
- Loss of Consortium: If the injury impacts your relationship with your spouse or family, additional compensation may be awarded.
Reduced Quality of Life
Factors like loss of enjoyment in hobbies, inability to participate in family activities, and a reduced lifespan can also be accounted for in your compensation package.
Future Care and Living Expenses
In severe cases of spinal cord injury, long-term or lifelong care may be necessary. This includes in-home care services, specialized equipment, and modifications to your living space.
In cases where the at-fault party’s conduct is deemed particularly egregious or reckless, punitive damages may be awarded as a form of punishment and deterrence.
Understanding the full scope of what you can be compensated for is crucial for building a strong case. The Orlow Firm is committed to ensuring you receive every dollar you are entitled to, providing the financial support you need to adapt to a new way of life after a spinal cord injury.
Statute of Limitations
Understanding the statute of limitations is crucial when considering legal action for a spinal cord injury. The statute of limitations sets a time frame within which you must file a lawsuit. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers emphasize the importance of acting promptly to preserve your rights and maximize your compensation.
Time Limit for Filing a Lawsuit
In New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases, including spinal cord injuries, is generally three years from the date of the accident. Failure to file within this period may result in the court dismissing your case, leaving you unable to pursue compensation.
Exceptions to the Rule
- Minors: If the victim is a minor, the statute of limitations usually does not begin until the individual turns 18.
- Medical Malpractice: For cases involving medical malpractice, the time frame may differ. Often, the clock starts ticking from the date the malpractice was discovered or should have been discovered.
- Government Entities: If the liable party is a government entity, special rules apply, including shorter filing deadlines, often as brief as 90 days for filing a notice of claim.
Importance of Acting Quickly
Beyond meeting the legal deadline, acting quickly has other benefits:
- Preserving Evidence: The sooner you initiate legal proceedings, the more likely vital evidence can be preserved.
- Witness Testimonies: Witnesses’ memories fade over time. Immediate action ensures more accurate testimonies.
Understanding the statute of limitations for your case is vital for safeguarding your legal rights. The Orlow Firm is committed to guiding you through each legal milestone, ensuring timely filing and diligent preparation of your spinal cord injury case. Time is of the essence; contact us as soon as possible to discuss your case and take the first steps toward securing the compensation you deserve.
Prevention Methods for Spinal Cord Injuries
While not all spinal cord injuries are preventable, taking certain precautionary measures can significantly reduce the risk. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers not only represent victims but also advocate for greater awareness and education about prevention.
- Use Seat Belts: Always buckle up when driving or riding in a motor vehicle.
- Avoid Distracted Driving: Put away mobile phones and focus entirely on the road.
- Follow Speed Limits: Excessive speed increases the risk of severe injuries in case of an accident.
- Install Handrails: In homes and public spaces, having handrails can prevent slips and falls.
- Non-Slip Mats: Use non-slip mats in the bathroom, kitchen, and other slippery areas.
- Proper Lighting: Ensure adequate lighting in hallways and staircases to avoid tripping hazards.
- Wear Safety Gear: Always use helmets, protective clothing, and other safety equipment.
- Follow Safety Protocols: Adhere to all workplace safety guidelines and procedures.
- Training: Regularly update your knowledge on operating machinery and emergency procedures.
Recreational and Sports Safety
- Proper Technique: Always follow the correct techniques and guidelines when participating in sports.
- Use Protective Equipment: Whether it’s a helmet in cycling or protective padding in football, the right gear can prevent injuries.
- Second Opinions: For medical procedures involving the spine, seek a second opinion.
- Inform Yourself: Be aware of the risks associated with certain medical treatments or surgeries and consult thoroughly with healthcare providers.
- Regular Exercise: Building core strength can provide better support to your spine.
- Healthy Diet: Adequate nutrition contributes to bone strength and overall well-being, reducing susceptibility to injuries.
Taking preventative measures can often spell the difference between a life-altering injury and a minor mishap. However, if you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, The Orlow Firm is committed to representing your interests and securing the compensation you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much time do I have to file a lawsuit?
In New York, you generally have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit for a spinal cord injury. However, exceptions exist, such as for minors or cases involving government entities, which have different time frames. Consulting with The Orlow Firm’s New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers as soon as possible is crucial to ensure you don’t miss any deadlines and can pursue the maximum compensation for your injuries.
- What are the common causes of spinal cord injuries?
Common causes of spinal cord injuries often include motor vehicle accidents, falls, workplace accidents, and acts of violence. Medical malpractice and sports-related injuries are also frequent culprits. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers are experienced in handling cases arising from these various causes, helping victims secure the compensation they deserve.
- How much will legal representation cost?
At The Orlow Firm, we operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning you won’t pay any legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation for you. This ensures that you can pursue justice and compensation without worrying about upfront costs. Consultations are free, so you can discuss your spinal cord injury case with our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers without any financial obligation.
- Will my case go to trial?
While many spinal cord injury cases are settled out of court, there’s always a possibility that your case may go to trial, especially if the parties cannot agree on a fair settlement. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers are fully prepared to take your case to trial if it’s in your best interest to do so. We will discuss all options with you and provide our expert recommendation on the best course of action.
- How long will it take to resolve my case?
The time it takes to resolve a spinal cord injury case can vary widely based on the complexity of the case, the willingness of parties to settle, and court availability. While some cases may be resolved in a matter of months, others, particularly those that go to trial, can take years. At The Orlow Firm, our New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers are committed to resolving your case as efficiently as possible while ensuring you receive the maximum compensation you deserve.
Why Choose The Orlow Firm
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, taking swift legal action is crucial, and The Orlow Firm is here to assist you every step of the way. Our experienced New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers are committed to fighting for the maximum compensation you’re entitled to, helping you secure the resources you need for medical care, rehabilitation, and adjusting to a new way of life. With our contingency fee structure, you won’t pay a dime unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf. Time is of the essence due to New York’s statute of limitations, so don’t hesitate—contact The Orlow Firm today for a free consultation and take the first step toward justice and recovery.
Don’t let a spinal cord injury define your life. Contact The Orlow Firm, your trusted New York City Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys, to discuss your options and start building your case today.