Contact The Orlow Firm Today!
Our attorneys are ready to help you.
New York City Back Injury Lawyers
When it comes to life-altering experiences, sustaining a severe back injury ranks among the most devastating. Not only do you face immediate medical costs, but you may also be looking at years of physical therapy, and perhaps even permanent disability. If you’ve suffered a back injury in New York City due to someone else’s negligence, The Orlow Firm is here to help you maximize your case and get the compensation you deserve.
- The Orlow Firm specializes in back injury cases, helping victims maximize their claims.
- Understanding who’s legally liable and the types of compensation available is crucial.
- New York has specific laws and statutes of limitations that affect your ability to file a lawsuit.
Why Choose The Orlow Firm as Your NYC Back Injury Lawyers?
When you’ve suffered a back injury in New York City, selecting the right legal representation is a crucial decision that can greatly influence the outcome of your case. The Orlow Firm stands out as the go-to choice for several compelling reasons. Our extensive experience in handling back injury cases in NYC equips us with the specialized knowledge needed to navigate the complex landscape of personal injury law. From herniated discs to spinal cord injuries, we have successfully represented clients across a broad spectrum of back injuries, securing optimal compensation packages for medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional suffering.
But our commitment doesn’t end with legal expertise. We believe in a personalized approach, offering individualized case analysis to ensure that your unique needs and circumstances are taken into account. We are not just lawyers; we are advocates who stand by your side from the initial consultation to the final verdict. Operating on a contingency fee basis, we don’t get paid unless you do, ensuring that our interests are fully aligned with yours. Choose The Orlow Firm, and benefit from a legal team that prioritizes your well-being while possessing the legal acumen to maximize your case.
Common Types of Back Injuries
If you’ve suffered a back injury in New York City, it’s essential to understand the type of injury you have, as this will play a pivotal role in your personal injury claim. Back injuries can vary in severity and long-term impact, making specialized legal guidance crucial. At The Orlow Firm, we have extensive experience in representing clients with a variety of back injuries, each requiring unique legal and medical considerations.
- Herniated Discs: One of the most common back injuries, herniated discs occur when the soft cushion between spinal vertebrae protrudes, often leading to nerve irritation and severe pain.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: These are among the most severe types of back injuries and can result in paralysis or loss of bodily functions. Such cases often involve substantial compensation due to the life-altering consequences.
- Fractured Vertebrae: Often resulting from falls or vehicular accidents, fractured vertebrae can lead to chronic pain and may require surgical intervention.
- Muscle Strains: While they may seem less severe, muscle strains can cause debilitating pain and restrict mobility, impacting your ability to work or carry out daily activities.
- Nerve Damage: Conditions like sciatica, caused by pressure on the spinal nerves, can lead to chronic pain and may even require surgical procedures.
Understanding the type of back injury you’ve sustained is a critical first step in your legal journey. The Orlow Firm’s expertise in representing various back injury cases in NYC ensures that you’ll receive the tailored legal advice necessary to maximize your claim.
Common Causes of Back Injuries
Back injuries can happen in various scenarios, and knowing the cause of your injury is crucial for establishing liability and building a strong legal case. At The Orlow Firm, our NYC back injury lawyers have extensive experience representing clients injured due to a wide range of causes, providing us with the insight needed to maximize your claim effectively.
- Car Accidents: High-impact collisions can exert enormous force on the spinal column, leading to herniated discs or even fractured vertebrae. Such cases often involve claims against at-fault drivers or insurance companies.
- Workplace Incidents: Occupations that require heavy lifting or repetitive motions, particularly in industries like construction and warehousing, are prone to back injuries. Employer negligence in these cases can lead to substantial compensation claims.
- Slip and Falls: Whether it occurs on public property or in a private residence, slipping and falling can cause serious back injuries. Property owners could be held liable for failing to maintain safe conditions.
- Medical Malpractice: Surgical errors or misdiagnoses can lead to severe spinal issues. These cases require specialized legal action against healthcare providers.
- Recreational Activities: Sometimes even leisure activities like swimming, cycling, or skiing can lead to back injuries, especially if proper safety measures were not in place.
Identifying the cause of your back injury is the first step in building a strong legal case. The Orlow Firm specializes in providing expert legal counsel for all types of back injuries in New York City, helping you identify the responsible parties and pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.
Who’s Legally Liable?
Determining who is legally liable for your back injury is a crucial aspect of your personal injury claim, as it sets the groundwork for pursuing compensation. At The Orlow Firm, our experienced NYC back injury lawyers are skilled at investigating the circumstances surrounding your injury to identify the responsible parties.
- At-Fault Drivers: In car accidents, the driver who caused the collision is usually held liable for any resultant injuries. This may extend to the driver’s insurance company as well.
- Property Owners: For slip-and-fall incidents, or accidents occurring due to unsafe conditions on a property, the owner can be held responsible. This applies to both private and commercial properties.
- Employers: In workplace-related back injuries, especially in high-risk industries like construction, the employer may be liable if proper safety measures weren’t implemented.
- Product Manufacturers: If your back injury was caused by a defective product, such as a faulty chair or equipment, the manufacturer might be held accountable.
- Medical Professionals: In cases where medical malpractice leads to a back injury, the healthcare provider, or even the medical institution, may be liable for damages.
Our legal team at The Orlow Firm is committed to meticulously investigating the specifics of your case to determine who is legally liable for your back injury. By identifying the liable parties, we can better strategize how to maximize your claim, ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve for your physical and emotional suffering.
What Can You Be Compensated For?
Understanding the types of compensation you’re eligible for is pivotal when pursuing a back injury claim in New York City. At The Orlow Firm, our skilled back injury lawyers are dedicated to ensuring that you receive the maximum compensation available for your specific circumstances.
- Medical Expenses: This is often the most immediate concern. Compensation can cover not just your emergency treatment but also future medical costs, including surgeries, medication, and physical therapy.
- Lost Wages: A severe back injury can put you out of work for an extended period, or even lead to permanent disability. You may be compensated for lost income, including potential future earnings.
- Pain and Suffering: Beyond the physical toll, back injuries can also cause significant emotional and psychological distress. Compensation for pain and suffering aims to provide some measure of relief for these non-tangible damages.
- Permanent Disability: In extreme cases where the back injury results in long-term or permanent disability, you could be eligible for compensation that takes into account the profound impact on your quality of life and earning capacity.
- Legal Fees: In some instances, the legal costs incurred while pursuing the claim can also be included in the final compensation package, alleviating the financial burden of the legal process.
The Orlow Firm is committed to examining all aspects of your case to identify every potential avenue for compensation. By understanding the full scope of what you can be compensated for, we are better equipped to negotiate and fight on your behalf, ensuring that you receive the financial support you need to move forward.
Relevant Laws and Statute of Limitations
Understanding the legal landscape is essential for a successful back injury claim in New York City. The Orlow Firm’s seasoned NYC back injury lawyers are well-versed in the laws and regulations that can significantly affect your case.
- New York State Insurance Law: Particularly Sections 5102 and 5104, define what is considered a ‘serious injury,’ affecting whether you can step outside New York’s no-fault system to pursue a personal injury claim.
- Labor Laws: In work-related incidents, New York Labor Laws like Sections 240 and 241 can come into play. These laws are designed to protect workers and can be instrumental in securing compensation from employers.
Statute of Limitations
In New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including back injuries, is generally three years from the date of the injury. However, there are exceptions:
- Claims Against Public Entities: If your injury was caused by the negligence of a government entity, you generally have just 90 days to file a formal claim and one year and 90 days to file a lawsuit.
- Medical Malpractice: In cases involving medical malpractice, the statute of limitations is two years and six months from the date of the malpractice or from the end of continuous treatment rendered by the party you intend to sue.
Knowing the relevant laws and the statute of limitations for your case is crucial for protecting your rights and securing your claim. The Orlow Firm is committed to guiding you through these legal complexities to maximize your compensation effectively.
While our primary role at The Orlow Firm is to provide expert legal guidance for back injury victims in New York City, we also believe in the importance of preventative measures. Being proactive can significantly reduce the risk of back injuries, and we feel it is our duty to inform you of various ways to protect yourself.
- Proper Lifting Techniques: Whether at work or home, always use your knees—not your back—when lifting heavy objects. Keep the object close to your body and don’t twist while lifting.
- Workplace Ergonomics: Employers should provide ergonomic furniture and equipment to reduce strain. Employees can also ask for an ergonomic assessment to ensure their workstation is back-friendly.
- Regular Exercise: Strengthening your core and back muscles will give your back better support. A consistent exercise routine that includes activities like swimming or yoga can be very beneficial.
- Footwear: Believe it or not, your shoes can affect your back. Wear supportive footwear, especially if your job requires you to be on your feet for extended periods.
- Be Cautious on Slippery Surfaces: In a city like New York, where winter weather can create hazardous conditions, always be cautious when walking on icy or wet surfaces to avoid slips and falls.
While these preventative methods are valuable, accidents can still happen. In such unfortunate circumstances, The Orlow Firm is here to provide the specialized legal support you need to get the compensation you deserve for your back injury. Being informed and taking preventative steps can only strengthen your case should an injury occur.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I sue for my back injury in NYC?
- What’s the first step I should take after a back injury?
- How long do I have to file a lawsuit?
- What if I can’t afford legal fees?
- How do I know if I have a case?
When it comes to dealing with back injuries in New York City, time is of the essence. At The Orlow Firm, we’re committed to providing you with the legal expertise and personal attention you need. With our help, you can focus on healing while we handle the legal complexities. Contact us today to maximize your case and secure your future.